Flood Safety Tips
When a Flood Warning is Issued
- Evacuate immediately if advised to do so.
- Move to a safe area before access is cut off by rising water.
- Monitor weather reports for vital weather-related information.
Get to High Ground
- Get out of areas subject to flooding, including dips, low spots, canyons, washes, etc.
- Avoid areas already flooded, especially if the water if flowing fast. Do not attempt to cross flowing streams.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
During the Flood
- Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding.
- Road beds may be washed out under flood waters. NEVER drive through flooded roadways.
- Never allow children to play around high water, storm drains, creeks or rivers.
After the Flood
- Throw out fresh water that has come into contact with floodwater.
- Boil drinking water before using it.
- Seek necessary medical care.
- Check and dry out electrical equipment before being returned to service.
- Use flashlights, not lanterns, torches, or matches, to examine buildings. Flammables may be inside.
- Report broken utility lines to authorities.