Prepare Your Home: Tropical Storm Warning Issued
Complete these tasks when you are under a TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE WARNING:
- Turn off main gas valve to house.
- Set the refrigerator thermostat to maximum cold and don't open unless necessary.
- Sterilize, then fill water containers, sinks and bath tubs, then turn off main water valve to house.
- Unplug all appliances and turn off electricity box.
- Close drapes and lock all windows and doors.
- Lower awnings.
- Install commercial shutters on your windows or use 5/8" plywood panels.
- Secure garage doors. If you can leave a car in the garage, back it up against the closed door.
- Insert wedges and bolts in all doors and sliding patio doors. Place a large piece of furniture in front of the door.
- Load Hurricane Disaster Supply Kit into car.
- Keep personal papers, insurance documents, driver's license and property inventories with you in a waterproof container.
- Use phone only for emergencies.
If You Plan to Stay in Your Home:
- Remember, your initial choice might be to stay in your home during a storm, but always prepare to leave.
- Bring your pet indoors.
- Stay indoors on a middle floor, in the middle of the house, away from windows and doors.
- Keep your Disaster Supply Kit and a weather radio near you.
- During the storm, the safest position is sitting on the floor with your head tucked between your knees. Place your arms over your head to shield yourself from flying objects.
- Beware of the calm conditions when the eye passes overhead. Stay indoors until the entire storm has passed.