Prepare Your Home: During a Watch
Complete these tasks when you are under TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE WATCH:
- Protect appliances and furniture by elevating them off the floor and covering them with plastic.
- Move valuables to upper floors.
- Put area rugs and furniture in high places.
- Place oily polishing rags or waste in covered metal cans.
- Recharge appropriate equipment, such as electronic drills and tools, cellular phones, batteries, etc.
- Store weed killers, pesticides and flammable products away from heat sources.
- Install shutters, storm panels or plywood over all windows, doors, skylights and open vents.
- Have sand bags ready for use.
- Remove loose objects from the yard and patio.
- Close all outside electrical outlets and cover with duct tape.
- Do not drain your swimming pool. Keep the pool filled to about 12 inches below the edge. Add additional chlorine. Turn off electricity to pool and cover the filter pump.
- Sink pool furniture in your pool.
- Moor your boat. If possible, take it out of the water and store well inland. Check with the local marina if you are docked there. If you are leaving the boat and trailer outside, remove air from the trailer tires and tie the boat to the trailer. If you can, anchor the trailer. Remove all electronics and personal items once the boat is secured.
- Keep your vehicles filled with gas.
- Get extra cash from the bank.