Prepare Your Pets
Know What to do as Disaster Approaches!
At the first hint of disaster, act to protect your pet.
- Call ahead to confirm emergency shelter arrangements for you and your pets.
- Bring all pets into the house so that you won't have to search for them.
- Make sure all dogs and cats are wearing collars and securely fastened, up-to-date ID.
- Attach the phone numbers and address of your temporary shelter.
- You may not be home when the evacuation order comes. Find out if a trusted neighbor would be willing to take your pets and meet you at a prearranged location.
- Keep in mind that all animals react differently under stress. Keep dogs securely leashed. Transport cats in carriers. Don't leave animals unattended. The most trustworthy pets may panic, hide, try to escape or even bite or scratch.
Source: Humane Society of the United States