Prepare Your Home for Hurricanes
Complete these tasks BEFORE the tropical storm season begins:
- Fasten shelves securely.
- Place large, heavy objects on lower shelves.
- Brace overhead light fixtures.
- Secure water heater by bracing it to wall studs.
- Repair faulty electric wiring and leaky gas connections.
- Repair cracks in the ceiling or foundation.
- Clean and repair chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors, and gas vents.
- Check door looks and bolts.
- Purchase wood and screws for your windows.
- Trim back tree branches that are touching your house or fence, or have the possibility to touch them during wind or rain. Remove dead branches.
- Repair damaged gutters and make sure the downspout opening and surrounding area is clear.
- If you have roof turbines, purchase supplies for removing them and sealing the hole.
- Make sure your roof is up-to-code.
- Prepare your shutters for the upcoming season.
- Find a place in your house where you can store patio furniture and ornaments.
- Secure yard items such as swing sets and sheds.
- Review your evacuation plans; make sure the family knows the plan.
- Familiarize yourself with the structure of your home. Building codes are updated yearly — make sure your home is up-to-code.
- Make sure your Disaster Supply Kit is filled with the appropriate contents and near an easily accessible location. Replenish water and food.